CYNTROL® | Ammonium Polysulfide Solution
Maximize value through effective and efficient use of chemistry while minimizing waste through innovative solutions
Moleko’s Cyntrol® Ammonium Polysulfide (APS) reduces the potential for cyanide assisted corrosion in crude oil refinery processes by practically eliminating all free cyanide in refinery wastewater effluents economically, reliably and in an environmentally friendly manner resulting in a cyanide free system which reduces refinery upsets and downtime.
Refinery Cyanide Control Program
Cyntrol works in refinery applications to convert cyanide into a non-corrosive thiocyanate, protecting equipment from corrosion.
Catalytic cracking and coking operations in a refinery typically generate some amount of cyanide due to the presence of nitrogen containing compounds in crude oil. These cyanides, if present in sufficient concentration, can have a deleterious effect on refinery operations, due to their promotion of hydrogen related corrosion.
While other corrosion inhibitors, such as filmers, protect equipment by forming a barrier between the metal and the corrosive agent, the cyanide still exists and is passed along to other units within the refinery. Cyntrol effectively eliminates the cyanide by converting it to a non-corrosive thiocyanate that is easily handled in the refinery’s water treatment facility.
- Prevents cyanide from attacking the passivated iron sulfide layer in refinery equipment
- Strengthens protective passivated layer by converting FeS to FeS2
- Extends life of expensive refinery equipment
- Improves efficiency of wash water system, as more cyanide can be solubilized into the wash water
- Untreated cyanide can lead to reduced efficiency in the amine system through formation of heat stable salts
- Reduces potential environmental issues
Cyntrol® | Ammonium Polysulfide Solution
Safety Data Sheet (Cyntrol® 2040)